Music honor society returns to IHS

Tri-M brings students together as leaders of tomorrow

By Klair Vogel, Staff Writer

Iola High School band, choir and orchestra members had a new opportunity in 2015 to cultivate their leadership skills in music with the revival of a Tri-M chapter.

“Our goal this year is to get the chapter open, then next year the activities will start,” Katie Terhune said.

IHS had a Tri-M (formerly known as Modern Music Masters) in 2009 and was reactivated by vocal and orchestra instructor Greta Adams. Tri-M is a national honor society for students who are involved in music for at least one semester during the school year. Tri-M focuses on the value of music education and giving students opportunities to build their leadership skills to become leaders.

“The way our music department has grown with the addition of orchestra and band growing it seemed that restarting the Tri-M chapter really filled a need for our music students,” Adams said.

There are more than 1,500 chapters of Tri-M around the world. Once Tri-M is up and running it will bring all of the Iola music students together. Students who are involved in the chapter can help motivate each other to reach their goals. The benefits of being in Tri-M is being able to put that you were involved in your school’s chapter on your college application, helping serve your community and becoming leaders.