Picking the FROOT of the month

MUSIC REVIEW

Persephone Means, Staff Writer

Up-and-coming Welsh artist Marina Diamandis of Marina and the Diamonds came out with her third album, “FROOT,” this month.
In her first disc, “The Family Jewels” (2010), Diamandis started off as an independent artist. She described the album’s style as indie-pop, glam-disco, nostalgic 1980s, and new wave. In “The Family Jewels,” she showed “a body of work largely inspired by the seduction of commercialism, modern social values, and female sexuality.” Some of her songs that illustrate this theme include “I Am Not A Robot,” “Girls,” “Hollywood,” and “Are You Satisfied?”
Her sophomore release, “Electra Heart” (2012), was heavily inspired by electro pop, lyrical, and dubstep musical styles. It has been described as an album detailing female identity and breakups. She interprets the four female stereotypes in a few of her song titles, such as “Teen Idle,” “Primadonna,” “Homewrecker,” and “Bubblegum B—-.”

“FROOT is more reflective. It was almost like I had been burdened by something my whole life and then suddenly that went away,” she has explained in interviews. “I can’t even describe how amazing it is… you suddenly realize why people are happy and why people enjoy things. ”
Writing and producing mostly alone, she is able to showcase each song how she wants to. As a promotion, she released one song per month until April 3.
In the song “Happy,” Diamandis shows her emotions in a solemn voice over a piano background.
In the stanza, “I found what I’d been looking for in myself. Found a life worth living for someone else. Never thought that I could be, I could be, happy, happy.” She notes how finding peace inside of herself has helped open her eyes to the realm of being happy.
Her song, “Immortal,” was inspired by a war memorial in Poland and by inevitable death. The grim lyrics make it sound like a personal sadness, though it quickly morphs into something more.
With an underlying sense of hope, Diamandis sings, “But if the earth ends in fire, and the seas are frozen in time. There’ll be just one survivor: the memory that I was yours and you were mine.”
Her newest release, “I’m a Ruin,” is upbeat and fun, though it tells of an ex- lover she was sad to leave.
Consider these lyrics: “I know that I can’t have it all, but without you I am afraid I’ll fall. I know I’m playing with your heart, and I could treat you better but I’m not that smart,” she coos sadly.

Marina and the Diamonds performs “Obsessions.”
Wikimedia Commons
Marina and the Diamonds perform “Obsessions.”

Be sure to make time to check out these other albums.
Florence and the Machine, “How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful”: This multi-artist show is spreading indie love songs. The album arrives in June.
Mumford & Sons, “Wilder Mind”: The Grammy-winning indie-folk stars get a little bit louder with their third release. The catchy, Coldplay-esque “Believe” is already on the airwaves.
Hollywood Undead, “Day of the Dead”: This on-and-off-again band, which took a hiatus in 2010, will be touring this year after its fourth release.
Sleeping with Sirens, “Madness”: Critics were excited about this release, which features a well-known post-hard-core band.