The music commences with choir and orchestra

Jackson Cone, Staff Writer

Music filled the air as the choir sang their Christmas carols, and the orchestra set the audience’s ears on high alert with their sweet Christmas songs.

On Thursday, December 3, Iola’s orchestra and choir performed at the Bowlus for two hours. The Bowlus was nearly packed with excited listeners anxiously waiting for the music to commence. Overall the concert received a very nice review by the audience. “I thought they all did very well,” said one concert goer. “Yeah, it was pretty good, the orchestra did well, and the choir sounded nice,” said freshman IHS band member, Jack Eyster.

The concert was a mix of both middle and high school players; beginner’s orchestra, intermediate orchestra, high school orchestra, middle school choir, high school choir, high school singers, and a few select band members.

They played many pieces, here is a list of them.

Beginning orchestra: Good King Wenceslas, Folk Dance, Can-Can, Jingle Bells, and Christmas Medley.

Intermediate orchestra: Symphony No. 9, In the Hall of the Mountain King, Arab Dance, and New World Symphony.

High school orchestra: The Black Sea, Slavic Lullaby, Canadian Ballad, Classic Christmas Medley, Winter Wonderland, and Plink! Plank! Plunk!.

The Iola Middle School Choir: Kyrie, Be Still, Gonna Rise Up Singing, Carol of the Bells, and Christmas in Three Quarter Time.

High School General Choir: Give Me the Splendid Silent Sun, Gentle Annie, Oh, By and By, Jubilate Deo, Joy, Joy, Joy!, and The Twelve Days After Christmas rang through the Bowlus.

IHS Singers: Danny Boy, Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Festival Sanctus, and Agnus Dei.

At the end of the concert, all of the groups got together and played a piece called O Come O Come Emmanuel.

Lisa Wicoff said, “I really enjoyed their performance, they played great, and the part at the end where they all played together was the best.” Sophomore Orchestra member Jacob Burcham commented, “Yeah, I think the orchestra did well, especially the beginners.”