The Dear Hunter’s Fourth Act is an enrapturing experience

Dyllan Jones, Staff Writer

A new band has been making waves in the minds and ears of Iola High School students since the beginning of the new school year.

Progressive rock band The Dear Hunter is gradually becoming a more common topic of discussion between Iola High School students, who praise it for its daringly unique hybrid of sounds, experimental instrumentation, and deeply emotional — sometimes even philosophical — lyrics.

In their most recent album, Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise, The Dear Hunter tells a relatable tale; one that appears to exercise variations in beat and tone to echo the life of an ambiguous narrator and their very human experiences.

However, while most people can find connections to their personal lives in the lyrics and ambiguity may seem to be the intention at first glance, there is a phenomenally-written plotline behind it all. Rebirth in Reprise continues the story of a nameless man’s life and his mental decline after the end of the first World War; a story that began with Act I: The Lake South, the River North.

A good deal of the sudden rise in local interest can be attributed to sophomore Zach Cokely, who says that the best way to describe the music is “eclectic;” a welcome constant of change in an industry which thrives on recycled content.

In Cokely’s opinion, Rebirth in Reprise is “a musical masterpiece that encompasses a lot of genres and puts together a coherent story through music and lyrics.”

Cokely, who expands his musical collection frequently by browsing the internet and discovering several lesser-known artists, urges fans of progressive rock and classical music alike to peruse The Dear Hunter anthology for something that matches their tastes. Additionally, he strongly recommends that new fans listen to the entire album to understand its full meaning.

The Dear Hunter will be touring in the United Kingdom in early March this year, with no tours scheduled to occur in the United States at this moment, but optimistic fans and adventurous listeners alike can tide themselves over with some of their previous albums.

Fans of Rebirth in Reprise are sure to be interested in the more quaint yet equally impressive Migrant, or the grandiose yet focused album The Color Spectrum, which consists of nine extended play recordings, each pertaining to a color and the band’s interpretation of their underlying meanings.

Rebirth in Reprise is sure to appeal to anyone with a desire for something different, even if that means stepping outside of their comfort zone. For some, The Dear Hunter’s unique style may be hard to take in, perhaps even intimidating given the seamless permeation of one tone into another. Skeptics need not worry for proof of The Dear Hunter’s quality, as evidence of the band’s significance can now be found locally.