Teachers take on added responsibilities

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers take on added responsibilities

Sierra Snavely, Staff Writer

The start of the 2016-2017 school year at Iola High School has had some changes made. School counselor Melissa Stiffler has been given new responsibilities and Breanna Esslinger is tackling her first school year alone.

Now being the sole counselor of IHS, Stiffler has a lot more to juggle. “Over the summer I had a lot of work. I doubled the workload. I tried to develop a system that would work better for students and myself. I had to learn how to manage my time more wisely,” Stiffler said.

IHS now has two lunches and this means the whole school has to eat in one or the other. Students have been feeling overwhelmed with the large number of peers in the same room. Stiffler says, “I haven’t really felt overwhelmed, but it is only the beginning of the year. I enjoy interacting with all the students from both lunches. It’s really neat to see them outside of the classroom.”

Previous culinary essentials teacher, Sharon Frankenberry, retired second semester last year, and her student teacher Breanna Esslinger has taken over this year. Taking on full reigns, she started her first school year by herself. “Everything is going great so far. If I have any questions, someone is always willing to assist me or they know who I should talk to. I know students are adjusting to the many changes happening this year,” Esslinger stated. “I, too, am faced with new challenges that accompany any change. These changes are for the better and we, as a school, will continue to learn and grow.”

IHS is undergoing many changes this year, but in the end it should all be worth it.