Ag teacher retires after 36 years

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ag teacher retires after 36 years

Freshmen Annika Hobbs and Elka Billings converse as Charles Kerr sorts fruit for a fundraiser done earlier this year.

Macayla Bycroft

Macayla Bycroft

Macayla Bycroft

Sierra Snavely, Staff Writer

Current Iola High School agriculture teacher, Charles Kerr, has decided to retire following the 2016-2017 school year. Kerr has been a staff member at Iola High School for 36 years.

“I just want the kids to be as successful as they can be. I have never wanted to teach anything but Ag. I’ve never thought of teaching anything else,” says Kerr.

He will be leaving behind Future Farmers of America (FFA) and a variety of Ag related classes. The school has hired Amanda Strickler to start the 2017-2018 school year.

Kerr attended Parker Rural High School in 1968 in Parker, Kansas. He received his Master’s degree after going to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M in 1970 and Kansas State University in 1972. Other degrees under Kerr’s belt include an Associate’s in Science, a Bachelor’s in Science in Agricultural Education, and a Master’s in Science of Agricultural Education.

Kerr says, “My wife wants to travel some so I will probably go along with, and I hope to see my grandkids more. I know I will miss teaching for awhile, but I am sure it will be different.”