All’s fair in love and tennis

Brynna Hollins

Sophomore Macayla Bycroft serves during practice

Jackson Cone, Staff Writer

Rackets, aces, backhands, netpost? If you know what I’m talking about you’re probably a tennis player or are familiar with the sport.

Friday evening, six of Iola High School’s tennis players will be competing in the 4-A division of the regionals in Independence. “I like tennis because it’s fun, and it’s an interesting sport,” said Tori Danford, one of the senior tennis players. “I also like the coach because she is interesting and unique.”

The names of the six individuals who are competing are Erin Klubek, Jennifer Tidd, Tori Smith, Macayla Bycroft, Chyanne Vaughn, and Bobbi Sinclair. Their coach this season is Jennifer Bycroft.

“I don’t get nervous about the matches. I’m proud of the girls if they just go out and play their best, give it all they’ve got, and show good sportsmanship,” says Coach Bycroft. Vaughn has other feelings though. “I’m kind of nervous, I mean it’s the regionals.”

For most people Friday will go on as if nothing happened, but for those tennis players playing at the regionals, it will signify their tennis abilities and how they measure up to the competition. The best tennis players in the world had to start somewhere, even if it meant they had to perfect their playing. Coach Bycroft had a starting place as well.

“I basically taught myself to play tennis before my freshman year of high school. I ended up playing singles all four years of high school. I then went on to become a student manager for the Indiana University Womens’ Tennis program in Bloomington for two years while I attended school there. Their head coach, Lin Loring, has the most wins of any Womens’ College Tennis Programs in Division I. It’s a great program, very successful team, and wonderful coaches to work for. That experience really helped me, and was a lot of fun to be a part of.”