100 years of IHS pride

Tori Bland, Staff Writer

IHS is one of the longest running school buildings in the state of Kansas.
“This school building has served us well now for 100 years,” said Principal Stacey Fager. “I am interested in seeing what the board takes on in the next 20 to 50 years of education; to stay with this, or a new facility,” added Fager.
“I would have to say that the thing that has changed the most is the students,” said Dianne Kauth who has been teaching at IHS for 22 years. “Laws have changed, society has changed so it’s not [the students’] fault. But, the students have changed more than anything.”
Mr. Fager seems to agree. “The culture, character, and education has changed due to the new discipline models,” said Fager. “It makes a big difference. Kids are now nicer to each other.”
History teacher Travis Hermstein has a different take on the subject.
“Kids haven’t changed,” said Hermstein. “The information has changed, but the kids haven’t. Kids still act the same way from when I was in school.”
However, there are some aspects of the physical building that have changed.
“My room and [Virginia] Crane’s room used to be the library,” said Hermstein. “The guidance office was also up on the second floor.”
“The gym was in the basement and it would routinely flood,” said Hermstein. “It wasn’t uncommon at all to have 6 to 8 inches of water on the entire floor.”
“The cafeteria is the same since when I was in school,” added Hermstein. “The science building is the same. We still go to the Bowlus for classes.”
As far as future changes go, Kauth would like an entirely new school.
“You look at any schools around this half of the state that have built new schools, their attendance has gone up, dramatically,” said Kauth. “People want to go to something new. And it’s not just for that reason. I teach in the old part of the school. Our school wasn’t built for central heat and air. It’s not built for the technology that we have, either.”