Forensic season ends: 16 to go to state

Tori Bland, Staff Writer

The Forensics season has finally come to a close. At Paola on March 3,  senior Abigail Taylor placed third in Poetry. Taylor also got first place in Impromptu Speaking at the same meet. Junior Zachary Cokely placed third in Serious Solo Acting.

The team competed in Wichita at a National Qualifier on March 12. Senior Olivia Bannister placed first in her Dramatic Performance. Cokely and Senior Judd Wiltse placed third in Duo Interpretation. Junior Karly McGuffin and freshmen Brady Folk placed fifth in Duo Interpretation. All five members who performed will compete at the NCFL competition in Sacramento, CA.

“I’m really honored,” said senior Olivia Bannister. “Anything regarding nationals is a really big deal. I feel happy because our community has such good support for the arts,” added Bannister.

At Marmaton Valley on March 22, freshmen Parker Smith placed first and junior Aaron Terhune placed second in Prose. Junior Caleb Spencer placed first in Poetry at the same meet. Bannister placed first again but this time in her Humorous Solo. Cokely and Wiltse placed first in their Duet Act at the Marmaton meet. Junior Alex Smith and Freshmen Caden Knavel placed third in Improvised Duet Acting. Senior Yohon Sinclair placed first in Original Oration. Terhune placed first in Informative Speaking. Freshmen Brady Folk placed third in Informative Speaking. Sophomore Isaiah Wicoff placed first in Impromptu Speaking and Junior Abby Valentine placed second.

Sixteen IHS Forensics members will be going to state this year. Emma Weseloh, Parker Smith, Abigail Taylor, Caleb Spencer, Judd Wiltse, Yohon Sinclair, Olivia Bannister, Zach Cokely, Karly McGuffin, Brady Folk, Clara Wicoff, Aaron Terhune, and Isaiah Wicoff.

On April 23, forensics and players will be hosting the second annual “Bee For The Arts” trivia bee. There will be a free will donation dinner that starts at 5:30. The bee will start at seven.  Both events are in the high school commons area.