Rated “R” for reality?

commons.wikimedia.org

commons.wikimedia.org

Trevelle Means, Staff Writer

I think kids should be able to watch R-rated movies at theaters starting at the age of 13. At 13, they are responsible enough to know their limits on what they feel like they can and can not handle, especially in a movie. I think that at that age, it is appropriate because they are starting to become aware of the things that happen in R-rated movies, in real life.

According to the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), a R-rated movie consists of one or more of these things: violence, nudity, substance abuse, or strong language.

Teen Ink, a magazine formatted and written by teens, makes a good point. They said that if they won’t let teens into R-rated movies, all they would have to do is wait for the movie to come out on DVD so they can buy it and watch it. Since they will eventually watch it, then they should be let into R-rated movies.

I understand why most people are against it. Kids are mainly influenced by what they see on TV, what they play in video games, and what they see in movies. If they are going to see it anyway, then why shouldn’t they be allowed to watch it in the theatre? For example, the movie Air Force One is considered an R-rated movie. The movie is about the president fighting off terrorists on a plane. The action is tame, there is no sexual activity, no nudity, and has one cuss word, which falls into the MPAA’s parameter for a PG-13 movie. This movie should not have been rated R.

In all, I think that teens should be allowed into R-rated movies because they are already aware of the things R-rated movies show, they will eventually be able to buy the movie on DVD, and they know their limits to what they want to watch and what they do not want to watch.