Why buy a pet when you can adopt one?

Rescuing animals from a shelter is a better option for everyone.

According to dosomething.org, “It’s impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the United States. Estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.”

Antigone Means

Antigone Means

Persephone Means, Editor

When you adopt from a shelter, you are adopting an animal that has been well cared for. Your newest family member will likely already have all of their vaccinations, be spayed or neutered, and maybe even have a microchip. This will be included in the adoption price, which can offset some of the costs of adding a pet to your household. Older pets are usually housebroken and/or trained, and this can save later frustration. You will be able to see their full personalities sooner. This will help you find a pet that is compatible with your family.

Sadly, according to humanesociety.org, “Each year, 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are euthanized in the United States, simply because too many pets come into shelters and too few people consider adoption when looking for a pet.” This is a devastating amount of innocent lives that are just cast to the side because of the high intake rates of most shelters. Adopting a pet from a shelter reduces the need for euthanization and frees up resources to care for other animals while they wait for a fur-ever home.

Adopting from a shelter also helps reduce the pet overpopulation problem. Simple math shows that a fertile cat, producing average litters each year, will result in thousands of unhomed pets in a few short years. Many of those animals end up suffering without homes, injured by vehicles, or dying of exposure. These animals may carry disease or cause property damage. Choosing adoption as your first option gives the quality of life to an animal that they would not otherwise have.

If you do end up purchasing an animal from a pet store or an online seller, you need to take into serious consideration that they may have originated from a puppy mill. According to humanesociety.org, “Puppy mills are factory-style breeding facilities that put profit above the welfare of dogs. Animals from puppy mills are housed in shockingly poor conditions with improper medical care and are often very sick and behaviorally troubled as a result. The moms of these puppies are kept in cages to be bred over and over for years, without human companionship and with little hope of ever joining a family. And after they’re no longer profitable, breeding dogs are simply discarded – either killed, abandoned or sold at auction.”

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the bond that you and your pet have, so who cares if it’s a purebred or a mutt? Adopting a pet from a shelter will not only be less expensive, it will provide a forever home for your pet, and will keep the welfare of animals as a top priority.