What’s this debate all about, anyways?

The Democratic National Convention’s first debate took place on the 13th; here’s what happened.

Ryan Eyster, Editor

Bernie Sanders, Jim Webb, Hillary Clinton, Martin O’Malley, Lincoln Chafee. What do all these names mean? Well, they’re all Democrats, and they’re all participants of the DNC Debate hosted by CNN. The debate was held on Tuesday the 13th, and five of the top Democratic candidates for the Presidential nomination attended. Webb, O’Malley, and Chafee are the least popular and the most moderate of the candidates, and across a variety of polls, they usually come up with a collective 8% of votes as to being the most successful in the debate. Clinton and Sanders come up with the other 92%.

The question is: who holds that favor, and why? According to the New York Times and CNN, Hillary Clinton won, although both of their viewer polls show stark contrast. Across the range of media corporations, Clinton holds favor. However, according to polls and social media, Bernie Sanders won by a landslide. CNN’s poll states that 83% of people think that Bernie Sanders won. However, their story on the debate clearly puts Clinton in the limelight. Time Warner Cable, owner of CNN, is 7th on Clinton’s donation list, and quintupled Sander’s top donator, with $500,000 going to Clinton’s campaign. Clinton has the largest donation list of any candidate, and currently has a $2.5 billion fundraising plan for 2016.

So, the media supports Clinton, while Sanders has public support. Why? Perhaps it’s because Sanders has clearly stated that his policies are focused on supporting the working class. Sanders has also stated that he is a socialist, so his policies would be favorable to those who support heavy tax subsidies.

Clinton is much more moderate, and is a mixed-economy capitalist. She does support the Trans Pacific Partnership, a free trade agreement for the Pacific area that would free corporate trade, although stifling individual partnerships. Sanders opposes the deal.

          Clinton has had changing opinions on a variety of issues. One of the hot points of her changing views was the Keystone pipeline, an oil line that would bring crude oil from Canada to the US. When confronted, Clinton stated “I didn’t take a position on Keystone until I took a position on Keystone.” A champion of the pipeline when it was under legislation, Clinton now opposes it. Sanders opposes the pipeline. Clinton is also more moderate on gun control. Sanders wishes to hold firearm manufacturers responsible for crimes committed with their products. Clinton merely wishes for tighter restrictions.

           These two candidates are the most likely for the Democratic nomination. Sanders represents the growing demographic of Progressive Socialists in the United States, where Clinton is backed by a much more moderate crowd.

Jim Webb and Lincoln Chafee have since dropped out of the runnings for the Democratic nomination.

 

The next Republican debate is scheduled for Wednesday, October 28th. Stay tuned for more information on the 2016 election.