“I don’t want to get up.”

Melany Dean

Currently, Iola High School opens its doors to students at 8 a.m. This is too early for kids to function, say experts.

Melany Dean, Staff Writer

“I don’t want to get up,” is probably the first thing you say, or at least think, when you wake up, isn’t it? According to npr.org, “most high schools open at 7:30 a.m, which leaves a lot of teenagers falling asleep in class.” This means that these students are not learning properly or all of what they need to learn to get good grades.

According to startschoollater.net, the “typical sleep cycles begin around 11 p.m. for teenagers and continues through 8 a.m. This means that an early wake-up call not only allows six or seven hours of sleep per school night at most but also requires students to wake up in the middle of deep sleep. According to most sleep experts, most adolescents need about nine hours of sleep per night. Today nearly 2/3 get under eight, and 2/5 get under six hours of sleep per night.” According to this, IHS is part of the 42.5 percent that start at or before 8 a.m.

Teens need their sleep for other reasons as well. “Sleep-deprived teens tend to eat more carbohydrates and fats, with every hour of sleep that is lost increasing the odds of obesity by 80 percent. Adolescents that go to sleep at midnight or later are also more likely to suffer from depression and have suicidal thoughts,” cnn.com says. According to aacap.org, “Approximately 12.7 million, or 17 percent, of children and adolescents are obese.” They also tell us that, “suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds.”

So in conclusion, starting school too early can interrupt the sleep cycle and cause sleep deprivation, can lead to obesity, and can cause or increase suicidal thoughts or actions. If you also think IHS needs to start later, speak to the IHS administration and make sure they know your feelings.