Attention: College

It’s always a good thing to go to college, even if you only go for the normal two years to a junior college. There is no reason to not at least try to go to junior college or university, because there are many choices, a multitude of scholarships, and you can do anything you set your mind to.

Melany Dean, Staff Writer

College is a must nowadays if you want to succeed in life. There are many good colleges in Kansas, such as Wichita State, Washburn, Emporia, Fort Hays, University of Kansas, and Kansas State University. This article will tell you about scholarships at KU and K-State, opportunities at a junior college, and will offer a solution to your anti-college justifications.

Both KU and K-State have many scholarship opportunities, such as the Putnam Scholarship at KSU that is worth $36,000 with $9,000 a year for four years, or the Chancellor Scholarship at KU that is worth $20,000 with $5,000 a year. At KSU, you need at least a 3.0 GPA, and at KU you need at least a 3.25 GPA to get a scholarship. According to affordability.ku.edu, at the estimated cost of $17,300 for four years of tuition, $9,000 may not do much, though every last penny helps. Plus, you can also use more than one earned scholarship.

There is also the choice of junior college. Junior college is a two-year college, like Iola’s own Allen Community College. There are also scholarships for junior college, such as the Athletic and Activity Grants-In-Aid. According to allencc.edu, you must have a signed letter of intent, a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and the recipients of this scholarship are selected by the coach or sponsor. Three levels of scholarship are available. The first is that tuition and book rent up to 18 hours is paid for, the next $500 per semester is covered, and the lowest tier is $200 per semester. There is also the Merit Academic Scholarship, which requires a 3.00-3.49 cumulative GPA or an equivalent GED score. The applicant must be a Kansas resident. This scholarship includes $500 per semester, and you must complete 12 hours with a cumulative GPA of 3.0-3.49 to renew. You only need to reapply if renewal requirements for an academic scholarship are not met.

There are many excuses that people give about not wanting to go to college, such as, “I don’t know what I want to do with my life.” Scolarship.com says, “Those with a college degree, can float around on their diploma and make some money while getting their dreams sorted out and finding their niche.” Another excuse that can be made is, “Nobody in my family has ever gone to college before.” Everycircle.com says, ”Why not be the first? It’s true that being the first to do anything can be difficult and maybe even a little frightening, but being the first in your family to receive a college education should give you a sense of pride.” These are only two of the many excuses that can be made. Just think about it: Junior college looks better on your resume than no college.

It’s always a good thing to go to college, even if you only go for the normal two years to a junior college. In conclusion, there is no reason to not at least try to go to junior college or university, because there are many choices, a multitude of scholarships, and you can do anything you set your mind to.