Join the FCCLA family

Sierra Snavely

Cellia Branstetter, sophomore, 2016-17 Vice President of Records for FCCLA.

Sierra Snavely, Staff Writer

“I want to see new faces join our group, which is more like a family than anything,” returning sophomore member and 2016-17 Vice President of Records Cellia Branstetter says. “I would like to improve the membership, getting our group as big or even bigger than [Future Farmers of America] FFA.”

More participation in the group means new opportunities could open up for Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA). They try to do stuff throughout the community. Last year, “we made cards for kids in the hospital that had positive things, hoping to cheer them up and help them forget their disorders for awhile,” said Branstetter.

“A personal goal this year is to double the student membership in FCCLA. We have a lot of returning members as officers this year, but we need more general members. Students who are interested in joining should either have already taken or currently be enrolled in a Family and Consumer Science (FACS) class,” said Breanna Esslinger, sponsor at Iola High School.

FCCLA is welcome to anyone who would like to join. A membership fee of $15 is required by October 14 to Esslinger. There is an alternative to paying. If you participate in the t-shirt design competition that Esslinger is putting on, the group with the best fitting design for FCCLA will get their membership for free. If they have already paid, the money will be returned back.