Fall sports rolling along

Valaree Burtnett, Editor

The 2014-2015 IHS fall sports are getting started with high hopes. We hope to see many victories this year from our Mustang and Fillies teams.

The Football team has been working hard already this year getting their blue and gold scrimmage in on Aug. 28. Coach Doug Kerr has big plans for the boys this year. “Our first goal is to repeat as conference champions and take the next step that we haven’t taken in the last few years, which is win the district and get into the state playoffs,” said coach Kerr.

The girl’s tennis team is looking good with less players this year than in the past. The varsity have a scarce four games this season, so make sure to get to as many as possible. Their first game was held at Fort Scott on Aug 25.

Our Cross Country runners kicked off their season on Sep. 4 at Anderson County. As the only senior girl on the team Jo Lohman is a role model and has a lot of positive things to say about her team mates.

“I expect the girls on the team to be really good this year. We have four really strong varsity runners but we are still looking for one more to put over the top.” says Lohman. “I also expect the boys to do really well also because we have a lot of returning varsity runners from last year. So all and all it should be a good year.”

Volleyball is always a fun sport to watch, so naturally with the fun loving girls we have on the team this year, it will be a blast. The Fillies Volleyball team started out their season on Sep. 2 with the freshman team facing off in a tournament against Chanute, Crest, and Parsons, and the JV traveling to Columbus for a tournament against Independence, Columbus and Ft. Scott.

Whether you catch a football, spike a volleyball, swing at a tennis ball, run cross country or just cheer them on, we hope to see you at the games! Good luck to the 2014-2015 fall sports teams of IHS.