Tennis racking up wins

Small group seeing success on courts

Photo by Karima Hall

Isiaiah Fawson is ready to return a volley at the home meet March 26.

By Tori Danford, Staff Writer

Tennis is not just about whacking a ball around. It’s about dedication. The IHS boys’ tennis team has just that.

In the first few weeks of the season, the players have fared well, logging more than 20 wins in six meets.

Tennis opened its season with a home meet on March 26 during a cold snap.

Mason Key and Rhett Allen had a “great day,” coach Dan Berg said, going undefeated playing doubles.

“I was proud of our performance in the round robin”, Berg said. “I thought all four of our players should have won medals.”

Boys Tennis (223)
Rhett Allen serves to an opponent at the home meet in late March.

Key and Allen went on to also do well at Coffeyville the next week, along with singles players Colby Works and Isaiah Fawson, who were undefeated April 2. Tyler Holloway and Glenn Thomas won their first doubles match of the year: an 8-1 victory over Coffeyville.

The team faced new challenges at Neodesha on April 4, where Key and Allen won two and lost one, and Fawson and Thomas went 1-2 for the day.

At Pittsburg April 9, the whole varsity took third place, while Bishop Miege took second.

“I’m glad about this team placement,” Berg said.

At Coffeyville on April 14, the singles players, Works and Fawson, both 4-0 for the day. Also, Holloway and Farrell went 2-2 in doubles for that same day.

Works, who hopes to at least play club tennis at Kansas State University after high school, said he is enjoying playing singles this season instead of doubles, which took him to the state tournament last year.

Thomas, Holloway, and other players said they appreciate the new coach’s tendency to offer continual encouragement. “Berg is a good coach and pushes us to become better,” junior Connor Farrell said.