Fillies tennis dominates at Chanute match

Allie Utley

Juniors Macayla Bycroft and Carley Cescon happily pose for the camera before they are off to play their matches.

Allie Utley, Staff Writer

On Thursday, September 8, the Iola Fillies girl’s varsity tennis team traveled to Chanute expecting to have entertaining yet competitive matches. There were six teams altogether, so when the girls arrived, they were first put into the third pool. That meant none of the players would actually compete until the third round of games.

After nearly forty-five minutes of waiting, juniors Macayla Bycroft and Erin Klubek’s time to take the court had arrived. The pair played Columbus’ number one double team. Meanwhile, sophomore Jennifer Tidd went up against Columbus in singles. Bycroft and Klubek won 8-3 and Tidd later won 8-6. “This is the first time I had Jennifer play singles. She did great. She’s really been working on her strokes and her footwork in practice and it showed tonight,’’ head coach Jennifer Bycroft said.

After that, sophomore Carley Cescon and her freshman teammate, Allie Utley, would face Columbia’s number two doubles team. The Fillies won 8-2. “We only got three matches in last night before the storms hit, but hey, they won them all,’’ Bycroft concluded.