Mustangs head to playoffs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mustangs head to playoffs

Junior Mustang Cale Barnhart runs the ball down the field in a game against Girard.

Drew Tucker

Drew Tucker

Drew Tucker

Sierra Snavely, Staff Writer

“We have ten seniors that have done a great job building the program up to the level now that it’s a playoff team. It is exciting for me to give the kids a chance to play in November,” says head coach Doug Kerr. “It is an honor that we will not take lightly. We have gotten better each week and hope that the playoff appearance will help take the program to the next step.”

The Iola High School Mustangs football team has not made playoffs in eight years. The previous time that they made playoffs was under head coach Rick Horton in 2008. The Mustangs will suit up Friday, November 4, and get on the road and head to Frontenac, Kansas, to play their first game in round one of the playoffs against 9-0 Frontenac.

“We have been installing new plays and formations,“ says junior player Kanyon Beasley.

Mustang freshman Karson McGraw (14) and junior Kiefer Endicott (70) stand on the sidelines supporting their teammates.

Allie Utley

Senior varsity player Seth Sanford says, “Making playoffs makes me feel like my class put the program in the right direction and set good expectations for the younger guys.”