On a different note …

Wyatt Prall, Staff Writer

It all started on the bus ride back from New York City. With Mr. McGuire leaving, the band had no clue what to expect for the new marching band season. The next time the band met was at band camp with Matt Kleopfer as the new director.
Band camp was basic drill for all five days, and then playing at night for two. Camp ran from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with Tuesday and Thursday practices from 5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The two practices consisted of drill for four hours, then playing under the streetlights for the remainder of the time.

After band camp, the actual work began.Homecoming day 092112 French (5) Band Once school started, practices were at 7 a.m. for regular band, and percussion and color guard were there at 6 a.m. This is when the entire band finally met Mr. Kleopfer.

“Mr. Kleopfer had high hopes for the band,” freshman Judd Wiltse said. Practices were hard, but the hard work paid off with the first half-time show.
The show was called “Simon Says” with songs by Paul Simon, such as: “A Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “You Can Call Me Al,” “50 Ways to  Leave Your Lover,” “Sound of Silence” and “Still Crazy After All These Years.”

All of these songs were crunched into the halftime show. The show was “more intense, had more moves compared to the last few years,” according to junior Michael Wilson.

The games were important, but the entire year was dedicated to Neewollah. The last time the band participated in the festival, it only did the parade, and it has been many years since the band took part in the halftime competition. There were five divisions based on the size of the bands. Iola’s 48-student membership put the Marching Mustangs in the Gold Division. The band got a 2 rating in the contest.
“Neewollah was the best performance of all the shows,” Mr. Kleopfer said.
But this was far from the end of the band year; the program still has events for pep band and the concert band.
Mr. Kleopfer said the goal of the IHS band is to have students grow in maturity and musicality. This will create good, disciplined people through music, he said. The goal in the next few years is to grow the focus and discipline to represent Iola in the Midwest. The job of the band is to entertain the public and to help the teams put W’s on the record sheet.Girls V bball vs Fredonia 121112 Drew (5)