Forensics team works together

‘Don’t be so afraid to join. Let yourself be free and just do it’

By Tori Danford, Staff Writer

Ever since Regina Chriestenson competed in forensics in high school, she wanted to coach it.

“It is a way for me to, in high school and now, let out my competitive outlet. It’s fun to combine performance and competition. I can be competitive and not have to run or throw anything,” she joked.

Her enthusiasm has inspired many students to join the squad, whether they are an upper or underclassman.

Freshman Karly McGuffin has been interested in theatre since middle school. She got interested in forensics last semester when Chriestenson was talking to her in beginning drama. “Don’t be so afraid to join,” McGuffin said. “Let yourself be free and just do it.”

Clara Wicoff, a junior, has already had a good start to the season. The first meet of the season was in Girard on Jan 24. She double-qualified for state in both events she competed in: original oration and impromptu speaking. But most of the time, it’s not as easy to perform well.

“It’s a disappointment if you don’t win,” Wicoff said, “but when you do, you feel something so powerful.”

Senior Emma Piazza is not a newcomer to the forensics team, and she loves being a part of it.

“The other teammates are really nice and fun to hang out with,” she said. “It’s very fun and interesting to see what pieces that my teammates pick and how they perform them.”

She continued by saying her favorite thing about forensics is “doing a new activity every single time, not doing the same boring thing.”

Senior Garrett Prall joined forensics because of his older brother, Wyatt, who graduated in 2013. At first, Prall didn’t think he wanted to do forensics, but his brother pressured him into joining. By the end of the season, Prall left loving it and wanting more.

“My lesson would be to have a lot of teamwork and do a lot of partner activities,” he said. Last year, Prall received first in Improvised Duet Acting at state with partner Olivia Bannister.

“The most important things students learn from forensics is the ability to adapt to many different situations,” Chriestenson said. “You’re in a room when you’re being judged, and you have to speak to someone you don’t know. I think it’s a good skill to have in life to not fear public speaking, or even contain your fear of public speaking.”