Freshmen are friends, not food

… Seriously, don’t try to eat them. They don’t taste good.

By Andrew Waldman & Brynna Hollins, Staff Writers

Freshmen. The once-proud rulers of Iola Middle School have found themselves at the bottom of the food chain once more. Many people may claim to not understand the freshmen and their seemingly foreign ways of life, but as they mature and become more experienced, they begin to blend into high school society.

All freshman jokes aside, don’t forget that everyone has been in their shoes.

Dyllan Jones and Mea DeLaTorre, who might appear to be just ordinary freshman, have just finished their first semester of high school. How has the transition been? High school, Jones said, is “kind of like middle school, but … it is moderately difficult and you have to put more time into it.”

This is a common philosophy among freshmen, but as any upperclassmen will say, the classes become more and more challenging later in the average high school career. Hobbies and other activities are a popular way to reduce stress created from school and other things life pulls out of its bag of tricks.

DeLaTorre is involved in S.A.D.D., and outside of school she attends youth group at Wesley United Methodist Church. Some hobbies that she enjoys are drawing, writing and singing.

DeLaTorre said she also enjoys helping others: “Just growing up, I’ve always just helped people.” This could be related to her pride in her faith, she said. DeLaTorre feels that it is her faith that makes her unique. “I’m able to stand up for what I believe in,” she said.

She likes to keep the vision of her future bright and is optimistic about it. She hopes to graduate from college, start a family and pursue a career that will involve helping others.

On the other end of the spectrum, Jones has a fascination with computers — more specifically, old computers and games from the early 2000s. He said he enjoys playing with them and messing around with them, so much so that he has thought about a career in the gaming industry. However, Jones said he might be leaning more toward a writing career, possibly in telling the stories behind games and other projects.

There are many other freshmen who have interesting personalities and unique traits. So here’s a challenge to all upperclassmen: Talk to a freshman you may not know much about and get to know him or her; you may find you have something in common. And remember, freshmen are friends, not food.