Annual IHS bonfire was “LIT”

Allie Utley, Staff Writer

Freshman Lauren McDermeit passes off the hula hoop to classmate Casen Barker during a game at the bonfire.
Allie Utley

Sitting around and listening to the crackle of the bonfire has always been a favorite fall activity for years, but this year, Iola High School’s homecoming bonfire took it a step up. The IHS booster club and Elks Lake came together to create a one-of-a-kind event.

Seniors Riley Murry (left) and Sydney Wade (right) participate in the "Dirty Diaper" challenge. "It was hard because we couldn't use our hands," Wade said. Murry agreed. "It was a big team effort, and it was gross to look at."
Autumn Peeper
Seniors Riley Murry (left) and Sydney Wade (right) participate in the “Dirty Diaper” challenge. “It was hard because we couldn’t use our hands,” Wade said. Murry agreed. “It was a big team effort, and it was gross to look at.”

“At first, we played these games where a bunch of people got in a circle and tried to maneuver through a hula hoop. After that, some parent volunteers set out a bunch of diapers on a table and students had to run and pick them up using only their mouths and bring them back to their group and open them, still with no hands,” sophomore Katie Weide explains. “It was hilarious!”

Senior Taylor Stout poses with the sacrificial doll before the doll was thrown into the bonfire.
Autumn Peeper

After the games were through and the sun began to go down, the fire was lit. The IHS cheerleaders threw their annual stuffed rival cheerleader into the pit. “I’ve made it all four years I’ve been a cheerleader,” senior cheerleader and co-captain Taylor Stout said. “It’s supposed to pump everyone up, and since no one made one this year except us, I think it was the highlight because it got everyone really pumped up.”

The rival doll burns serenely on top of the bonfire as the students watch.
Allie Utley