SAFE BASE students get excited with pep rally

Back to Article
Back to Article

IHS cheerleaders perform for SAFE BASE students at Jefferson Elementary.

Autumn Peeper

Autumn Peeper

Autumn Peeper

Sierra Snavely, Staff Writer

“The cheerleaders were terrific. They did a wonderful job planning the pep rally and executing their stunts,” stated Angela Henry, SAFE BASE administrator. “Mrs. [Autumn] Peeper explained to the younger students that when the band plays the school fight song, everyone should stand up and give their support to our team.”

“Coach [Doug] Kerr, with his football players, was awesome. Coach talked to the kids, telling them that some day, if they worked hard in school, they, too, could be like cheerleaders, football players and band members. Mr. [Matt} Kleopfer and the band… they filled the gym with their music and really set the tempo for the rally,” Henry continued.

Wednesday, September 28, the Iola High School football team, cheerleaders and band put on a pep rally for the students who are in SAFE BASE to get them pumped up for the fall football homecoming game the following Friday.

“I loved watching the older students file into the gym. So many of them attended SAFE BASE when they were in elementary school. Watching the younger students look at the older students like the older students were celebrities was great. And, equally fun, watching the older students look at the younger students as they filed in… I think they could see the younger students looking at them like celebrities,” said Henry.

IHS cheerleaders hold up blue and gold letters while in an extension for the SAFE BASE students.

Autumn Peeper
IHS cheerleaders hold up blue and gold letters while in a prep stunt for the SAFE BASE students.

The cheerleaders performed for the students, doing stunts and chants. “I feel like the performance we gave them was good. I feel like, as a squad, we did a good job of being exciting and peppy so the kids didn’t lose interest. I would definitely do something like this again because it is a great way for the cheerleaders, band, and football players to get out into the community and get involved outside of just high school,” junior cheerleader and co-captain Emilee Luedke said.

In the end everyone had fun and was pumped up for the homecoming game.