IHS pride shines through in fall HoCo parade

Junior Aaron Erbert shows his pride, holding an American flag for the junior float. The fall homecoming theme this year was "Born in the USA."

Trevelle Means, Staff Writer

Homecoming candidates Sydney Wade and Joel Zimmerman smile as they drive around the square.

Drew Tucker

Last Friday, the Iola community came together to host the annual fall homecoming parade. The main parts of the parade were the homecoming candidates coming through in their cars and the IHS football team on their float.

football-tmeans-copy

The IHS football team huddles in for a quick picture before the parade starts.

Trevelle Means

Also, each class had their own float. The Iola football team played the Parsons Vikings. The freshman float was a burning Viking to show support for Iola in the homecoming game.

freshman-tmeans-copy

The freshman float was full of enthusiasm as they depicted defeating the Vikings. Their slogan was “Beat the Vikings.”

Trevelle Means

The sophomore float had a riding lawn mower, hence their banner that said “Mow over the Vikings.”

sophomore-dtucker-copy

The sophomore class had fun showing IHS pride on their riding mower. Their slogan was “Mow over the Vikings!”

Drew Tucker

The junior float was a military Humvee, with troops and students carrying flags. “Our float wasn’t really a ‘float.’ We got to use the National Guard Humvee,” said junior class president Olivia Taylor. Taylor said, “I wish we gave the national guard more publicity for what they have done for us.”

junior-dtucker-copy

The junior class’ float paid tribute to the men and women that serve our country. Their slogan was “Blow ’em away.”

Drew Tucker

The senior float was “Kiss the Vikings goodbye.” The float had KISS music playing in the background.

senior-sarab-copy

The senior float was on fire with KISS music playing. Their slogan was “KISS the Vikings goodbye.”

Sara Barbarick

The IHS Regiment played “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga, which got a lot of cheers from the audience. They were joined by the Iola Middle School band playing “Ex’s and Oh’s” by Elle King.

Iola Middle School's band marches proudly in the parade.

Persephone Means
Iola Middle School’s band marches proudly in the parade.

All in all, the parade was a success. Students from schools ranging from preschool to high school, as well as college aged, got to enjoy the parade. Even the elders of Iola were able to get outside in the fresh air and enjoy the sweet sounds and bright colors.

Elementary students watch as the IHS Regiment marches by.

Mackenzi Hutton