New directions for Iola bands

Allie Utley

Sophomore Shane Winner performing during the jazz band portion of the concert on November 28th, 2017.

Trevelle Means, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Iola High School performed their annual Christmas concert at the Bowlus Fine Arts Center. Both the middle and high school band performed on the same night, a change that was made by Iola’s first time teacher, Raine Wahlmeier.

“It was a wonderful experience. The students from 6th to 12th grade, all worked very hard, and I am proud of what they were able to accomplish in such a limited time frame. I had a lot of fun being up there conducting and I think the students had fun as well,” Wahlmeier says.

“My favorite part about the concert was us having such a strong ending on our songs,” sophomore Adryan Nading says. “It went really well because we all played together and we sounded really good.”

It was also a memorable night for Sophomore Michael Price, who performed his own music that he created on his own.

“I started writing music my freshman year. Mr. K actually influenced me and I always wanted to try to write my own,” Price says. It took him nearly two months to write his composition entitled “O come, O come Emmanuel.”

“I was more nervous about the introducing of the piece then the performing of the piece,” says Price.

Iola bands will begin performing their pep band performances at home basketball games beginning on December 15th, and are planning having a concert in the spring of 2018.